Returns for Leukemia - Phil McNeely, MPP Ottawa Orleans, assists province-wide drive to return 1 million dollars of empty containers to The Beer Store
Thursday, May 19th 2011 11:08:19am
Attn: News, Environment, Lifestyle and Consumer Editors and Reporters
Returns for Leukemia is a fundraising partnership between the United Food and Commercial Workers - Local 12R24 (representing The Beer Store employees), The Beer Store and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Canada. The fundraising event will take place at 440 Ontario beer stores over the weekend of May 28-29, 2011.
Returns for Leukemia "bottle drive" in Orleans
Phil McNeely, Parliamentary Assistant to Minister of Health & Long-Term Care, MPP Ottawa Orleans
Doug Clune, Store Manager, The Beer Store
Sunday, May 29, 2011 between 2:30 pm - 4:00 pm
1675 Tenth Line Road, Orleans, Ontario K1E 3P6
View Larger Map
• Returns for Leukemia has raised over $3.2 million since the beginning of the annual fundraising campaign in 2005. The goal for 2011 is to exceed the $1.065 million raised in 2010.
• Over 90,000 Canadians are affected by a blood cancer.
• Volunteers, federal MPs and provincial MPPs at beer stores across Ontario will ask customers returning empty beer, wine and spirit containers to donate some or all of their deposits.
• TBS sells 2 billion beer containers per year and recovers 95% of these through its deposit return system.
• All empty beer, wine and spirit containers sold by the Liquor Control Board of Ontario and Ontario winery retail stores can also be returned to The Beer Store under the Ontario Deposit Return Program (ODRP). These containers carry deposits of $0.10 to $0.20. The deposit is refunded when the container is returned to The Beer Store.
• 355 Million ODRP containers are sold each year and 78 % are returned to The Beer Store
• Ontario Enviroment Minister Wilkinson marked the return of the 1 Billionth container through the ODRP program in December 2010
• For more information, visit www.bottledrive.ca
For further details, please contact:
Don Huff, Environmental Communication Options, 416-972-7404, 416-805-7720 (cell-onsite) or email@example.com