Ceremony commemorates acquisition of 69-hectare Slokker property in Nobleton, Ontario
Wednesday, November 8th 2006 11:49:34am
Partnership with Trees Ontario Foundation to see land reforested
(Nobleton, Ontario, November 6, 2006) Today, Township of King Mayor Margaret Black, York Regional Chair and CEO Bill Fisch, Toronto and Region Conservation Authority Chair Dick O’Brien, Trees Ontario Foundation President John Cary, Susan Walmer of the Oak Ridges Moraine Land Trust and City of Toronto representatives commemorated the acquisition of 69 hectares (170 acres) of land on the northern edge of Nobleton.
The Toronto and Region Conservation Authority has assumed ownership of the property and, while protecting it from development, will rehabilitate the land by restoring it to a natural state.
The funding partnership for the property’s acquisition includes the Regional Municipality of York ($1 million), the City of Toronto ($1 million), Slokker Canada ($760,000 price reduction on property), the Foundation of Greater Toronto ($37,000), the Township of King ($25,000), the Oak Ridges Moraine Land Trust ($25,000) and private donations ($3,000).
Beginning in the spring of 2007, the Trees Ontario Foundation will help will help fund tree planting efforts.
The York Regional Council will manage a 38-hectare portion of the land as part of the York Regional Forest tract.
Mr. Cary added that, “Today’s designation of 69 hectares of land for green space represents a very important and lasting contribution to the environmental health of Ontario.”
For more information, please contact:
Corporate Communications, York Region
(905) 830-4444, Ext. 1232
cell, (905) 251-6419, after-hours, (905) 830-3302, email@example.com
Program Manager, Trees Ontario Foundation
(416) 493-4565, or (800) 387-0790, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Trees Ontario Foundation (TOF) is a non-profit foundation established in 1994 as an independent arm of the Ontario Forestry Association. TOF was formed with a mandate to promote and support tree planting initiatives in Ontario